Monday, December 27, 2010

::new life resolution::

Its almost the new year, and I'm almost half way to my goal weight. I am not as far along as I had predicted in August, but I am proud none the less. 20 lbs in 4 months is pretty reasonable, and a healthy amount. The last few weeks of school made it almost impossible to exercise since I was working on a project or writing a paper nearly every night. I was also sick for two weeks before finals. Through this, however, I managed to somehow lose weight despite lack of exercise. I think I was eating much less due to being so busy. The holidays set me back a few lbs, but I am back on track, and determined to lose another 20-30 lbs by Rosie's wedding date.

I have found that exercise is the key to weight loss. Anyone who ever told you you could safely lose 50 lbs and keep it off by dieting alone is lying. I try to do intense exercise at least 5 days a week. I am not on a super strict diet. I eat as healthy as I can during the week, and usually splurge a little on the weekend. If I want a bite of something sweet, I have it (just not the entire tub of ice cream...). If I were more strict I might lose weight more quickly, but its all about balance in order to be happy and enjoy life. If you haven't yet made the commitment to get healthy, 2011 is the perfect opportunity. But don't wait til after new years. Start today! Seriously. You only have one body. Even if you don't need to lose weight, its important to make sure that your heart is in good shape. Here are ten tips I have learned, that will hopefully help you as well:

1)Go buy an exercise DVD! I cant afford a gym membership, as I'm sure many of you can't either. Many workout DVDs cost $10-$15 at Walmart. Don't feel like you have to complete the entire workout right off the bat. Do as much as you can without stopping, even if it is only 10 minutes to start with. You will build endurance over time.

2)Exercise at least 5 days a week! Also, make sure that the exercise you are doing is cardio. You should be sweating a lot by the end of your workout! Strength training is important, but cardio burns fat and strengthens your heart. (Jillian Michaels usually incorporates both into her workouts)

3)Measure your food and caloric intake for the first two weeks. This will give you an idea of how much you are actually consuming as opposed to how much you need to eat. Remember, to burn one pound of fat per week, you need a deficit of 3,500 calories per week.

500 calorie daily deficit x 7 days = 3,500 calories (1 lb lost)

Don't know how much your body naturally burns each day? Try this calculator: http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/calories-burned.php Take the number it gives you, then subtract 500 calories. This is about how much you should consume per day in order to lose weight at a healthy rate. After a while, you'll be able to eyeball food portions better (besides, measuring food becomes a pain in the ass after two weeks...)

4)After you work out, eat a small amount of protein to help your muscles recover. I usually have a low fat cheese stick or protein shake. Also, drink lots of water!! (the more water you drink, the less you retain. Hence, the less you weigh)

5)Eat small healthy snacks between breakfast and lunch each day to keep your metabolism going. Your metabolism slows in the afternoon and evening, however, so try not to snack after lunch. A cup of black coffee or unsweetened tea in the afternoon can help suppress your appetite.

6)Remember that your body weight will fluctuate due to many things such as water retention and muscle gain. The first several lbs will come off quickly, then the weight loss will slow down. Don't get frustrated if you hit a plateau, or you gain a pound or two back. This is normal. Just keep at it. Weigh yourself often (and naked for your true weight) to keep an eye on any fluctuation. Its a lot easier to take off an extra 2 lbs that you gained back than an extra 10.

7)If you hit a plateau, don't panic or give up! You just need to slightly alter what you are eating and/or your exercise routine. I would recommend extending the time you work out. If you are able to exercise for 20 minutes without stopping, add an extra 5-10 minutes. This will help kick start your body again.

8)Do not reward weight loss goals with food! This is a slippery slope and is often counter productive. Instead, do something else for yourself, such as a manicure, a new clothing item, a long bubble bath with candles, etc.

9)Document your progress in a journal to help you stay on track. It is always rewarding to look back and see how far you have come! Taking pictures along the way can help you see progress made.

10)Ask yourself why you want to lose weight and keep this reason in mind. It's OK to want to lose weight to look good in a bikini, but there are a lot of other really important reasons to keep in mind:

*more energy
*lower blood pressure
*reduced risk for diabetes and heart disease
*exercise stimulates the release of serotonin, which can help depression and anxiety
*longer, fuller life to spend with the ones you love


Remember, you only have this one body. It is your responsibility to take care of it. It isn't always easy or fun, but the rewards are many! If you love your body, it will love you back. Make 2011 the best year of your life so far. Your time is now. What are you waiting for??

4 comments:

  1. So inspiring! time to start burning fat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. way to go jessica! i admire your perseverance, you have always been that way. I have watched you your whole life from crawling to running to adulthood and you never give up on any adversity ahead of you. so proud to be your mom. You are a strong! woman. love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. (had to put in anonymous-can't remember my password for google)

    Way to go Jessica, proud of you! Remember your a beautiful lady as you are! But truly inspiring to see you determined to change something - it takes dedication and hard work. Your blog is inspiring me on wanting to exercise, the one thing I don't do and need to. Keep up the good work and I know you will reach your goal! I am also glad to see that you treat yourself - it's important that you do not deny yourself those little things :) Love you! Risa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I really appreciate all of your support!! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete