Sunday, August 29, 2010

::to market, to market::

In my previous post, I mentioned a product called Better Than Bouillon. It got me thinking about all of the different store-bought products I have tested out in the past and the ones I love the most. I thought it would be helpful to share these findings, in case you haven't yet run across them in your local supermarket. I have narrowed it down to my top ten favorite store-bought food items:

1) Mario Black Olive Tapanaude

This has got to be one of my most favorite condiments ever. You can use it on just about anything. It is great on crackers, sandwiches, and pasta. I like to layer it in my lasagna. Yum! Unfortunately, they stopped selling it at the Walmart near my house. Alas, I must look elsewhere.




2) Better Than Bouillon Stock Base
Never buy bouillon cubes ever again. This highly concentrated chicken stock base has so much more flavor. They make an amazing beef stock base too. Wonderful for soups as well as a cooking liquid for rice, quinoa or couscous. I always have this in the fridge!





3) Tapatio Hot Sauce

This seemingly ordinary bottle of hot sauce is proof that big things come in small packages. It is the only kind of hot sauce I have found that does not contain vinegar. The ingredients are simply water, red chilies and spices. Without vinegar overpowering everything, you get the most amazing red chili flavor. Great on just about everything. I have even tried it on vanilla ice cream with surprisingly good results!

4)Reames Frozen Egg Noodles

When I want to make a killer pot of chicken noodle soup, I always buy these frozen noodles. They take a little longer to cook than dried egg noodles because of their thickness. They tend to hold up better and longer without becoming a big pot of mush. These also make amazing beef and noodles. Want a comforting warm meal? Reach for the Reames. (I should be their spokes person. lol)


5) Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki Sauce

This teriyaki is by far my favorite. It is particularly amazing on fish. Sometimes I like to make a marinade with this for salmon. The sugars caramelize beautifully and it has just the right amount of sweetness.






6) Maggi Sweet Chili Sauce

I love this sweet chili sauce, mainly for dipping. Dip chicken strips, pot stickers, egg rolls and more! There are other brands that are just as tasty, but this is the brand I usually get. It is mostly sweet with only a hint of heat.





7) Head Country BBQ Sauce

Now, if you are from Oklahoma, you probably are very familiar with this sweet and tangy bottle of delight. Whether you prefer regular, spicy or hickory smoke, Head country is definitely the best.




8) Wholly Guacamole

I hate it when I plan Mexican night only to find that the avocado selection is less than spectacular. Sometimes they just aren't ready when you need them. Packaged guacamole has always been definite 'NO' to me, but this particular product is better than one might expect. It tastes fresh and very close to homemade. You can even see chunks of avocado here and there, which I love. So next time the avocado bin is a sea of bright green, Wholly Guacamole is the perfect solution.

9) MaraNatha Almond Butter

If you like natural peanut butter, definitely give this almond butter a try. I started eating natural peanut butter because it is healthier and keeps me fuller longer. While peanuts taste pretty good, almonds taste so much better. They are less fatty and have a slightly sweeter taste without added sugar. They have both creamy and crunchy. It is a little on the expensive side, but will last you a long time in the refrigerator.


10) Gladiola Yellow Cornbread mix

I see cornbread as a blank canvas. This particular brand is quick, easy and not sweet (like Jiffy Cornbread). You can mix anything into the batter for more flavor. I love to add cheese, bacon, green chilies, herbs and fresh corn. Its the perfect side to fish, beans or chili.

1 comment:

  1. Hi my name is Stefanie and I work for Lalich Resources Inc. (Better Than Bouillon's agency). We appreciate the wonderful comments you have made about the product and would like to feature this blog on our website. Would you allow us to feature your blog? Also, we would love to send some free product to you as a thank you. If you would like to accept this offer please respond with an address to stefanie@lalichresources.com.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete